- Rice ~ 4 cups
- Urud dal ~ 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds ~ 1 tsp.
- Salt ~ to taste
For the batter:
- Soak the rice and urud dal + fenugreek seeds separately for about 8 hrs. If pressed for time, soak them in hot water for about 4 hours.
- Grind the urud dal + fenugreek seeds first into a fine batter. Add enough water such that it gets to a smooth paste consistency. Transfer it to a container.
- Now grind the soaked rice until it’s fine. Remember not to add too much water while grinding the rice, else it would be very hard to grind it.
- Add the ground rice to the container containing the urud dal and mix well. Add salt at this paste and mix well with your hands. (Using hands to mix kick starts the fermentation process).
- Now let this batter ferment overnight by placing it in a warm place.
- This can now be refrigerated for about 5 – 6 days.
For making the dosa:
- Before making the dosa, take the batter out from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. This is very important, as cold batter would not yield good results.
- The batter should be of pouring consistency. If not, add enough water to get it to that state.
- Place a tawa on stove and once hot, pour a ladle full of the batter at the center and move around in circle to the outside until desired shape and size is achieved.
- Pour a tsp. of oil around the edges and wait until the bottom crisps up.
- Now flip it over (this is not needed if the dosa is very thin and crisp) and let it cook on the other side for a minute or so.