- Rice ~ 2 cups
- Veggies, chopped – potatoes, cauliflower, peas, carrots ~ 2 cups
- Onion, sliced lengthwise ~ 1/2 cup
- Cumin ~ 1 tsp.
- Cloves ~ 4
- Bay leaves ~ 2
- Cinnamon bark ~ 1
- Salt ~ to taste
- Ghee/Oil ~ 2 Tbsp.
- Water ~ 3 1/2 cups
For the paste:
- Spinach ~ 2 cups
- Cilantro ~ 1/2 cup
- Ginger-garlic paste ~ 1 Tbsp.
- Cumin seeds ~ 1 tsp.
- Green chillies ~ to taste
- Water ~ 1/2 cup
- Blend all the items under the “For the paste” section to a smooth consistency.
- In a pressure cooker, add the ghee/oil, and once hot, add the cumin seeds followed by the cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves.
- Add the onions once the cumin seeds start popping, and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Now mix in the chopped veggies and fry this for a couple more minutes.
- To this, add the blended paste, rice, salt and fry well for about 3 -4 minutes. This is important in order to ensure that the cooked rice grains don’t stick to one another.
- Finally add the water, close the lid and let it cook for 3 whistles.
- Cilantro leaves in the paste can be replaced with mint, or both can be added to get a more enhanced flavor.
Recipe Source Aayi’s Recipes