- Spinach, cut roughly ~ 1 bunch (about 2 cups)
- Onion, slit lengthwise ~ 1
- Tomato, chopped into chunks ~ 1
- Tamarind paste ~ 1 tsp.
- Salt ~ to taste
- Oil ~ 1 Tbsp.
- Urud dal, mustard ~ 1 tsp.
- Red chilies ~ to taste
- Water ~ ½ cup, or as needed for desired consistency
- In a pan, add the oil, and once hot add the mustard seeds and the urud dal, and once the mustard splutters add the red chilies.
- Immediately add the onions and saute until they turn soft.
- Now add the tomatoes and saute until they soften as well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients – spinach, tamarind paste and salt, and give it a good mix.
- Now add the water, cover and cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Have this mixed with rice, and a curry (potato fry) on the side.