- Chickpeas/garbanzo beans ~ one 15 oz can
- Tomato, chopped into chunks ~ 1
- Onion, slit lengthwise ~ 1/2
- Salt ~ to taste
- Mustard seeds ~ 1 tsp.
- Oil ~ 1 Tbsp.
- Water ~ 1½ to 2 cups
- Onion ~ 1/2
- Coconut ~ 2 Tbsp.
- Sambhar powder ~ to taste
- Coriander powder ~ 2 tsp.
- Pottukadalai/Roasted gram ~ 2 Tbsp.
- Blend all the ingredients under the “To Blend” list into a course paste with some water.
- In a pan add the oil and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add the onion and saute for a couple of minutes. Now add in the tomato chunks and salt and saute until the tomato turns mushy.
- Mix in the chickpeas, blended paste and water, and let it all come to a boil.