- Cracked wheat ~ 1 cup
- Onions, sliced lengthwise ~ 1
- Red chilies ~ 2
- Peas ~ ½ cup
- Tomato, chopped into cubes ~ 1
- Salt ~ to taste
- Water ~ 2½ cup
- Oil ~ 1 Tbsp.
- Mustard ~ 1 tsp.
- Cilantro ~ a few sprigs
- Add oil to a pan, and once hot, add the mustard seeds, followed by the red chilies.
- Now add the onions and saute for a couple of minutes. Mix in the tomatoes, and saute until tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the peas, and give it a stir for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the salt & water, cover, and let this come to a boil.
- Add in the cracked wheat, ensuring no lumps are formed, cover and cook until the water has evaporated.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Semiya/Vermicelli ~ 1 cup
- Onions, slit lengthwise ~ 1
- Tomato, chopped into small pieces ~ 1
- Ginger ~ 1 inch
- Garlic pods ~ 3
- Green chillies, salt ~ to taste
- Mixed veggies like carrot, peas, potatoes & beans, chopped into small pieces ~ ½ cup
- Water ~ 2 cups
- Cinnamon stick ~ 1
- Cloves ~ 2
- Oil ~ 1 Tbsp.
- Roast semiya in a dry skillet until it’s light golden brown, and remove it from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add oil and once hot, add the cinnamon and cloves. To this add ginger, garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the onions and green chillies and saute until onions become translucent, after which add the tomatoes and saute for a couple more minutes. To this add the veggies and continue sauteing for a few more minutes.
- Now add the water and salt, cover and let it come to a boil. Once water’s boiling, add the semiya and mix well.
- Turn off the stove once the water is all evaporated.