- Chow Chow/ Chayote, chopped into 1 inch pieces ~ 1 cup
- Mochai / Lilva Beans ~ ½ cup
- Moong dal ~ ½ cup
- Jeera ~ 1 tsp.
- Turmeric ~ a pinch
- Salt, Sambhar powder ~ to taste
- Oil ~ 2 tsp.
- Urud dal ~ 1 tsp.
- Soak the mochai overnight and pressure cook it for about 4 whistles, until done. Also pressure cook the moong dal with the turmeric.
- In a pan, add the mochai, moong dal, chow chow, jeera, salt and sambhar powder, along with some water, and cover and cook until the veggie is done.
- In a separate pan, do the tadka – add the oil and once hot add the urud dal. Once the dal is brown, add this to the kootu.