- Raw Rice (Pachai Arisi) ~ 11/2 cups
- Par boiled rice (Pulungal Arisi) ~ 1/2 cup
- Urud dal, Fenugreek seeds ~ 2 Tbsp. each
- Coconut flakes ~ 4 Tbsp.
- Salt ~ to taste
- Baking soda ~ a pinch
- Soak the rice, dal and fenugreek seeds for about 8 hours.
- Grind these together with the coconut until it’s a smooth batter.
- Mix in the salt, and let this ferment overnight.
- Just before making the aapam add a pinch of baking soda to the batter and mix well.
- To make the aapam, take some batter and pour it in a aapam pan (or any non-stick pan with a lid), swirl it until it coats the interior of the pan, cover and steam until done.
- The aapam does not need to be cooked on both sides. Just cooking/steaming on one side is enough.