- Tomato, chopped into chunks ~ 3
- Onion, slit lengthwise ~ 1
- Toor Dhal ~ ½ cup
- Water ~ 2 cups
- Tamarind extract ~ 1 Tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds ~ 1 tsp.
- Fenugreek ~ 1 tsp.
- Turmeric ~ a pinch
- Sambhar powder, Corriander powder ~ to taste
- Salt ~ to taste
- Oil ~ 1 Tbsp.
- Boil toor dal with water (1:3 ratio) and turmeric in a pressure cooker until well cooked.
- In a pan, add the oil, and once hot add the mustard and fenugreek seeds. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the onion and saute until it turns translucent.
- Now add the tomatoes, sambhar and corriander powders, and saute for a couple of mins. until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the tamarind extract, salt and the remaining water and let it come to a boil.
- Finally, add the mashed/cooked toor dal and let it all come together.