- Thur dal ~ 1/2 cup
- Channa dal ~ 1/2 cup
- Red chilies ~ 3
- Onion, chopped very fine ~ 1
- Oil ~ 2 Tbsp.
- Mustard ~ 1 tsp.
- Sambhar powder, Salt ~ to taste
- Tamarind paste ~ 2 tsp.
- Water ~ 3 cups
- Soak the dals together for about 2 hours.
- Grind the soaked dals with the red chillies and some salt to a coarse batter with as little water as possible.
- Mix this batter with about 3/4 of the finely chopped onions and make these into tiny balls. Steam these until done. These can be steamed similar to idlis, by placing the balls in the idli plates and cooking them for about 10 minutes or so.
- In a pan, add oil, and once hot add the mustard and the remaining onions and saute till translucent.
- Add water, tamarind paste, sambhar powder, salt and let it come to a boil.
- Then add the steamed balls carefully, and let it all come together (about 10 minutes).