- Drumstick, chopped into long pieces ~ 1 cup
- Toor dal ~ 1/2 cup
- Tomato, chopped into pieces ~ 1/2 cup
- Tamarind paste – 1/2 Tbsp.
- Sambhar powder, salt ~ to taste
- Turmeric ~ a pinch
- Cilantro, chopped ~ for garnish
- Mustard seeds ~ 1 tsp.
- Oil ~ 1 Tbsp.
- Fenugreek seeds ~ 1/s tsp.
- Asafoetida ~ a pinch
- Red chili ~ 1
- Pressure cook the toor dal with turmeric until well cooked.
- In a sauce pan, add the chopped drumstick, tomato pieces, tamarind, sambhar powder, salt and about 1 cup of water. Cover it and let it cook until the drumstick is done.
- At this stage, add the boiled toor dal and let it come to a boil. Turn off the stove. Garnish the sambhar with chopped cilantro.
- For the tempering, add oil and once hot add the mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add in the fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and red chili. Add this to the sambhar.