- Methi ~ 1 bunch
- Moong dal ~ 1/2 cup
- Tomato ~ 1, chopped into pieces
- Onion ~ 1, chopped finely (optional)
- Jeera ~ 1 Tbsp.
- Sambhar powder ~ to taste
- Urud dal ~ 2 Tbsp.
- Asafoetida ~ a pinch
- Pressure cook moong dal with a pinch of turmeric.
- Discard the stems of the methi and wash them leaves well, by immersing it in a big bowl of water and letting the impurities settle to the bottom. Do this process a couple of times to ensure the leaves are clean.
- In a wide saucepan, add the cleaned methi leaves, cooked moong dal, onions, tomato pieces, jeera, sambhar powder, salt and some water. Cover and let it cook until done.
- For the tadka, add about 2 Tbsp. oil and once hot, add the urud dal and let it become light brown. Now add the asafoetida, turn off the flame, and add it to the kootu.
- Replace methi with spinach to make spinach kootu.