Recipe Source AllRecipes
- Warm water (110°F) ~1 cup
- Sugar ~ 1 tablespoon
- Active dry yeast ~ 2¼ teaspoons
- Salt ~ ¾ teaspoon
- Oil ~ 2 tablespoons
- All-purpose flour ~ 3 cups
- In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water. Once the sugar has been evenly distributed throughout the water, stir in the yeast with a whisk. Let it now sit for about 5 to 10 minutes undisturbed. Once the yeast begins to form a creamy foam on the surface of the water, continue with the rest of the steps.
- Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, shape into a loaf, and place into a well oiled loaf pan. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until it has risen 1 inch above the pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- If there is no foam in the bowl, the yeast is dead. Please start over with a new packet of yeast.
- I reduced the sugar stated in the original recipe since I found it to be too sweet.